Sunday, April 4, 2021

English Grammer - Present Perfect.



They HAVE GONE out. (= they are not at home NOW)
He HAS CLEANED his shoes. (= his shoes are clean now).

👉has cleaned / have gone etc. is the Present Perfect (hashave + past participle):

👉We use the present perfect for an action in the past with the result now.

  • We have bought a new car. (we have a new car now)
  • 'Where's Udit?'   'He has gone to bed.' (he is in bed now)
  • It's Udit's brithday tomorrow and I have not bought him a present.
  • I have lost my passport. (I can't find my passport now)
  • 'Udit is on holiday.'   'Oh, where has he gone?'
  • Can i take this newspaper? Have you finished with it?

 ðŸ‘‰I have just... (JUST = a short time ago)

  • A: Are Udit and Dipika here?
    B: Yes, they have just arrived.
  • A: Are you hungry?
    B: No, I have just had dinner.
  • A: Is Udit here?
    B: No, I'm afraid he has just gone.
👉I have already... (ALREADY = before you expected/before I expected)
  • A: What time are Udit and Dipika coming?
    B: They have already arrived. (before you expected)
  • It's only nine o'clock and Udit has already gone to bed. (before I expected)
  • A: Udit, this is Dipika.
    B: Yes, I know. We have already met.
👉I have not ... yet / Have you ... yet? (YET = until now)
You can use yet in negative sentences and questions. Yet is usually at the end.

yet in negative sentences:
  • A: Are Udit and Dipika here?
    B: No, they have not arrived yet.
  • A: Does Dipika know that you're going away?
    B: No, I have not told her yet.
  • Dipika has bought a new dress but she has not worn it yet.
  • The film has not started yet.
yet in questions:
  • Have Udit and Dipika arrived yet?
  • Has Dipika started her new job yet?
  • A: This is my new dress.
    B: Oh, it's nice. Have you worn it yet?
👉HAVE YOU EVER ... ?

We use the present perfect (have been / have had/ have played etc.) when we talk about a time from the past until now - for example, a person's life.
  • 'Have you been to Australia?' (in your life)  'No, I have not.'
  • I have been to India but I have not been to the Nepal.
  • I have seen that woman before but I can't remember where.
  • How many times has India won the World Cup?
  • 'Have you read this book?'  'Yes, I have read it twice.'
👉Present Perfect + ever (in questions) and never:
  • 'Has Udit ever been to Australia?'   'No, never.'
  • 'Have you ever played golf?'   'Yes, I often play golf.'
  • My grandmother has never travelled by air.
  • I have never ridden a horse.
  • 'Who is that man?'   'I don't know. I have never seen him before.'
👉Gone and Been:
  • A: 'Where is Udit?'
    B: 'He is away. He has gone to NCR.' (=he is in NCR now.)
↓↓Two weeks later.↓↓
  • A: 'Hello Udit.'
    B: 'Hello. I have been on holiday. I have been to NCR.' (=he went to NCR but now he is back.)
More examples:
  • I can't find Dipika. Where has she gone? (=Where is she now?)
  • Oh, hello Dipika! I was looking for you. Where have you been?
👉HOW LONG HAVE YOU...? (FOR / SINCE):


👉Present Perfect (I have done) AND Past Simple (I did);

With a FINISHED TIME (yesterday / last week etc.), we use the past (saw / arrived was etc.)

past simple + finished time

We arrived

in 1987.

last week.

yesterday.

four months ago.

at 5 o'clock.


Do ㄨNOT use the present perfect (has / have etc.) with a FINISHED TIME.
  • I saw Dipika yesterday. (not 'I have seen')
  • 'What did you do last night?'   'I stayed at home.'
  • We did not have a holiday last year. (not 'We have not had')
  • William Shakespeare lived from 1564 to 1616. He was a writer. He wrote many plays and poems.
  • Where were you on Sunday afternoon? (not 'Where have you been')
  • When did they arrive? (not 'When have they arrived')
Summary => Present Perfect is Time UNTIL Now; Past Simple is Finished Time BEFORE Now.

More examples:
  • I have lost my key. (Present Perfect)
    I lost my key last week. (Past Simple)
  • Udit has gone home. (Present P.)
    Udit went home fifteen minutes ago. (Past S.)
  • Have you seen Dipika? (Present P.)
    Did you see Dipika on Saturday? (Past S.)
  • Have you ever been to Australia? (Present P.)
    Did you go to Australia last year? (Past S.)
  • The letter has not arrived yet. (Present P.)
    The letter did not arrive yesterday. (Past S.)

No comments:

Milk Thistle - Caution!

The workings of human psychology have always been something that has fascinated me, and because of this, I have always made myself the topi...