Sunday, April 4, 2021

English Grammer - Present Perfect.



They HAVE GONE out. (= they are not at home NOW)
He HAS CLEANED his shoes. (= his shoes are clean now).

👉has cleaned / have gone etc. is the Present Perfect (hashave + past participle):

👉We use the present perfect for an action in the past with the result now.

  • We have bought a new car. (we have a new car now)
  • 'Where's Udit?'   'He has gone to bed.' (he is in bed now)
  • It's Udit's brithday tomorrow and I have not bought him a present.
  • I have lost my passport. (I can't find my passport now)
  • 'Udit is on holiday.'   'Oh, where has he gone?'
  • Can i take this newspaper? Have you finished with it?

 ðŸ‘‰I have just... (JUST = a short time ago)

  • A: Are Udit and Dipika here?
    B: Yes, they have just arrived.
  • A: Are you hungry?
    B: No, I have just had dinner.
  • A: Is Udit here?
    B: No, I'm afraid he has just gone.
👉I have already... (ALREADY = before you expected/before I expected)
  • A: What time are Udit and Dipika coming?
    B: They have already arrived. (before you expected)
  • It's only nine o'clock and Udit has already gone to bed. (before I expected)
  • A: Udit, this is Dipika.
    B: Yes, I know. We have already met.
👉I have not ... yet / Have you ... yet? (YET = until now)
You can use yet in negative sentences and questions. Yet is usually at the end.

yet in negative sentences:
  • A: Are Udit and Dipika here?
    B: No, they have not arrived yet.
  • A: Does Dipika know that you're going away?
    B: No, I have not told her yet.
  • Dipika has bought a new dress but she has not worn it yet.
  • The film has not started yet.
yet in questions:
  • Have Udit and Dipika arrived yet?
  • Has Dipika started her new job yet?
  • A: This is my new dress.
    B: Oh, it's nice. Have you worn it yet?
👉HAVE YOU EVER ... ?

We use the present perfect (have been / have had/ have played etc.) when we talk about a time from the past until now - for example, a person's life.
  • 'Have you been to Australia?' (in your life)  'No, I have not.'
  • I have been to India but I have not been to the Nepal.
  • I have seen that woman before but I can't remember where.
  • How many times has India won the World Cup?
  • 'Have you read this book?'  'Yes, I have read it twice.'
👉Present Perfect + ever (in questions) and never:
  • 'Has Udit ever been to Australia?'   'No, never.'
  • 'Have you ever played golf?'   'Yes, I often play golf.'
  • My grandmother has never travelled by air.
  • I have never ridden a horse.
  • 'Who is that man?'   'I don't know. I have never seen him before.'
👉Gone and Been:
  • A: 'Where is Udit?'
    B: 'He is away. He has gone to NCR.' (=he is in NCR now.)
↓↓Two weeks later.↓↓
  • A: 'Hello Udit.'
    B: 'Hello. I have been on holiday. I have been to NCR.' (=he went to NCR but now he is back.)
More examples:
  • I can't find Dipika. Where has she gone? (=Where is she now?)
  • Oh, hello Dipika! I was looking for you. Where have you been?
👉HOW LONG HAVE YOU...? (FOR / SINCE):


👉Present Perfect (I have done) AND Past Simple (I did);

With a FINISHED TIME (yesterday / last week etc.), we use the past (saw / arrived was etc.)

past simple + finished time

We arrived

in 1987.

last week.

yesterday.

four months ago.

at 5 o'clock.


Do ㄨNOT use the present perfect (has / have etc.) with a FINISHED TIME.
  • I saw Dipika yesterday. (not 'I have seen')
  • 'What did you do last night?'   'I stayed at home.'
  • We did not have a holiday last year. (not 'We have not had')
  • William Shakespeare lived from 1564 to 1616. He was a writer. He wrote many plays and poems.
  • Where were you on Sunday afternoon? (not 'Where have you been')
  • When did they arrive? (not 'When have they arrived')
Summary => Present Perfect is Time UNTIL Now; Past Simple is Finished Time BEFORE Now.

More examples:
  • I have lost my key. (Present Perfect)
    I lost my key last week. (Past Simple)
  • Udit has gone home. (Present P.)
    Udit went home fifteen minutes ago. (Past S.)
  • Have you seen Dipika? (Present P.)
    Did you see Dipika on Saturday? (Past S.)
  • Have you ever been to Australia? (Present P.)
    Did you go to Australia last year? (Past S.)
  • The letter has not arrived yet. (Present P.)
    The letter did not arrive yesterday. (Past S.)

No comments:

When the Universe Gathered to Understand Itself

  Imagine being able to reverse the flow of time. It is the year 1927. Before you stands what appears to be an ordinary group photograph. At...